Recipients to be recognized during the ACR 2021 Annual Meeting
American College of Radiology Announces 2021 Honorees
The American College of Radiology® (ACR®) Board of Chancellors (BOC) named three Gold Medalists, three Honorary Fellowship recipients and a Distinguished Achievement Awardee in recognition of their extraordinary contributions to the field of radiology and outstanding service to the ACR.
Honorees will be recognized during the ACR 2021 Annual Meeting, to be held May 16–19, 2021.
The following individuals will receive the ACR Gold Medal:
- Cheri L. Canon, MD, FACR, is Chair of radiology at the University of Alabama at Birmingham School of Medicine. She previously served on the founding board of directors of the ACR Radiology Leadership Institute®, the board of directors of the American Institute for Radiologic Pathology (AIRP®) and on the ACR Board of Chancellors as Chair of the ACR Commission on Education and ACR Vice President.
- Paul A. Larson, MD, FACR, a general radiologist and former member of the ACR Board of Chancellors as Chair of the ACR Commission on Quality and Safety and Vice President. He is the former co-chair of the Choosing Wisely® Workgroup and a long-time leader within the Wisconsin Radiological Society and the American Registry of Radiologic Technologists.
- Barry A. Siegel, MD, FACR, a professor of radiology and medicine at Mallinckrodt Institute of Radiology, Washington University School of Medicine, with over 40 years of leadership in the nuclear medicine community, 2019 Imaging Deputy Co-Chair for ECOG-ACRIN® Cancer Research Group and Co-chair of the National Oncology PET Registry (NOPR).
The following recipients will receive Honorary Fellowships:
- Michael Baumann, MD, is a radiation oncologist and Scientific Director and Chair of the management board at the German Cancer Research Center in Heidelberg, Germany. He is recognized for this research focusing on translational-orientated experimental radiotherapy and radiobiology primarily in head and neck cancers.
- Sneh Bhargava, MBBS, is a radiologist and professor in New Delhi, India. She is the first and only female Director of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS) in its 70-year history, and a former President of the Indian Radiology and Imaging Association (IRIA).
- Fiona Jane Gilbert, MB ChB, is a world-renowned breast imager and professor and Chair of the Cambridge Health Imaging Committee in Cambridge, England. She previously spent a decade serving on the Scottish Bone Tumour Registry, reviewing imaging of all bone tumours in Scotland in a quarterly multidisciplinary meeting with pathologists, orthopedic surgeons, and clinical and medical oncologists to ensure that all best practices were being followed.
Additionally, Donald W. Moran — who founded The Moran Company in 1998 after a 24-year career in the health and human services fields — will receive the Distinguished Achievement Award for his extensive contributions to ACR efforts on provider reimbursement, economics and healthcare policy.
To arrange an interview with an honoree, please contact Meghan Swope at 703-390-9822 or email PR@acr.org.
About the American College of Radiology
The American College of Radiology® (ACR®), founded in 1924, is a professional medical society composed of diagnostic radiologists, radiation oncologists, interventional radiologists, nuclear medicine physicians and medical physicists, dedicated to serving patients and society by empowering radiology professionals to advance the practice, science and professions of radiological care.