The program’s organizers, including Ezequiel Silva III, MD, FACR, chairman of the ACR Commission on Economics, believe a sense of urgency about MACRA will grow among radiologists as they move closer to Jan. 1, 2017, the starting date for the first MACRA physician performance period. The final score during the 2017 performance period will affect their Medicare payments.
The ACR-related sessions at the RSNA meeting became potentially even more valuable with the Oct. 14 release of the MACRA final rule, a 2,398-page set of regulations that define how the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services will orchestrate its transition to value-based medicine. The rule’s coincidental release just six weeks before the RSNA meeting will enable faculty members to present “brand new, hot-off-the-presses” information that they will translate into practical solutions for rapid implementation, according to Silva.
Each of the following presentations will cover a different aspect of MACRA, now referred to as the Quality Payment Program, and strategies radiologists can use to appropriately respond to this new payment paradigm.
Monday, Nov. 28, 8:30–10 a.m.
MACRA: Radiology Tools for Success
Moderator: Ezequiel Silva III, MD, FACR, San Antonio
Coordinator: Pamela Kassing, Reston, VA
- Frank J. Rybicki II, MD, PhD, Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
- Mythreyi Bhargavan-Chatfield, PhD, Reston, VA
- J. Raymond Geis, MD, Fort Collins, CO (Advises Nuance)
Tuesday, Nov. 29, 8:30–10 a.m.
Prospering in the Era of Payment Reform
Moderator: James A. Brink, MD, FACR, Boston
- MACRA Mandates and How to Deal with Them (Ezequiel Silva III, MD, FACR)
- Involving Patients in Their Radiological Care: Radiological Visibility, Personalized Care and Improving Outcomes (Geraldine McGinty, MD, MBA, FACR)
- The Radiologist’s Role in Population Health Management: Leveraging Technology for Better Outcomes (James A. Brink, MD, FACR)
Wednesday, Nov. 30, 10:30 a.m.–Noon
Will MACRA and MIPS Kill Your Practice?
Moderator: David Levin, MD, FACR, Philadelphia
- Ezequiel Silva III, MD, FACR
- J. Raymond Geis, MD, Fort Collins, CO
Wednesday, Nov. 30, 1:30–4:50 p.m.
Hospital Administrators' Symposium
Positioning Radiology for Success Under the Merit-Based Incentive Payment System
Moderator: Jonathan W. Berlin, MD, Evanston, IL
- Introduction – Jonathan W. Berlin, MD
- Positioning Radiology for Success Under the Merit-Based Incentive Payment System (Ezequiel Silva III, MD, FACR)
- Impact of Alternative Payment Models (APMs) on Radiology (Richard Weil, PhD)
- Adding Value in APMs: The Case of MRI (Diego R. Martin, MD, PhD)
- Questions and Answers (the above panel)
- Five Top Radiology Growth Models and Their Impact on the Physician/Hospital Partnership (Ronald Jackson)
- Price Transparency in Radiology: What Does It Mean for Hospitals and Radiologists (Mark D. Hiatt, MD, MBA)
- Legislation, Computerized Decision-Support and the Transition to Value-Based Health Care in Radiology (Mick Brown)
- Questions and Answers (Ronald Jackson, Mark D. Hiatt, Mick Brown)
For additional information, radiologists and their administrators are encouraged to refer to the radiology-specific summary of the MACRA final rule and “Be MACRA Ready: Quality Payment Program Decision Guide for Radiologists." Both were prepared by the ACR economics staff with guidance from the College’s Commission on Economics.