The Senate legislative package complements the House-passed 21st Century Cures Act, which the House passed in July of 2015. On Wednesday, the Senate HELP Committee marked up the following bills:
- The Promoting Biomedical Research and Public Health for Patients Act (S. 2742)
- The FDA and NIH Workforce Authorities Modernization Act (S.2700)
- The Promise for Antibiotics and Therapeutics for Health Act (S. 185)
- The Advancing Precision Medicine Act (S.2173)
- The Advancing NIH Strategic Planning and Representation in Medical Research Act (S. 2745)
In response, HELP Committee Chairman Lamar Alexander (R-TN) reiterated his pledge to work with ranking member Sen. Patty Murray (D-WA) to bring a funding agreement to Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) when the legislation heads to the full chamber. He indicated he is working closely with Senate Finance Committee leaders Orrin Hatch (R-UT) and Ron Wyden (D-OR) and has consulted with Department of Health and Human Services Secretary Sylvia Mathews Burwell on the legislation.
Although Alexander did not specify a timeframe for preparing the legislation for final passage, he expressed his desire for a conference committee meeting with the House on the biomedical innovation bills before the end of the year.